Monday 9 September 2013

Plant of the Moment – No.15 Tigridia pavonia

Not strictly 'of the moment' as the photo was taken 11 days ago, on 29 August, but I couldn't resist sharing the fleeting beauty of this voluptuous flower, which belongs to the Mexican bulb Tigridia pavonia. Until this year, I had never grown Tigridia – a member of the iris family – and it is thanks to our gardening friend Beth Smith that I came by the opportunity. Beth generously thrust a potful into my hands when we visited her spectacular garden at 'Foamlea', in the village of Mortehoe, on the North Devon coast, earlier this summer. Tigridia pavonia, which has semi-pleated, Crocosmia-like leaves, is a real sun worshipper, but also needs plenty of water, with sharp drainage, when in growth. Each flower lasts for just one day, which somehow increases their allure; I am already looking forward to continuing our acquaintance next year. Thank you Beth.

No comments:

Post a Comment